Saturday, July 9, 2011

What's Normal Anyways?*

I am One of 7 Billion Humans

You know this statement defines the positives and negatives of the stuff rattling around in my mind. It can be interpreted a few ways. This week it means either: "I am only 1 of 7 billions humans and that makes me insignificant" or "I am 1 of 7 billion humans and that gives me an opportunity to be part of something really big."

When you read a book, go to a movie, or have a conversation with someone that makes an impact on you, these are "life's moments." This week, I had all 3 of these moments. I recommend you read "Ten Little Indians," a collection of short stories by Sherman Alexi, go see the movie
"I Am," written and directed by Tom Shadyac, and have a conversation
with my friend Rich(k).

What tied these moments together has nothing to do with the following quote I have read before: "Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car." But the reason I repeated that quote here does say a lot about human beings. Stick with me through the following trite saying and then move forward to the next paragraph with an open mind: "You are either part of the problem or part of the solution."


If you are paying attention, you are 1 of 500 million people. (See my hypothesis in a previous post about 6.5 billion humans having no clue.) It becomes clearer and clearer that humans are in trouble. The economic realities of the competitive, dog eat dog, rich get richer, lobbyist dominated, stock market driven American economic culture of the past 100 years finds us at the edge of disaster.  As Steve points out in his movie, we need to shift our priorities, look at ourselves in the mirror, recognize the true essence of our soul and stop focusing on more, more, more, and me, me, me. 


We need to realize that our entertainment and financial icons are disingenuous. They need to be removed from the altar and replaced by the likes of Ghandi and MLK, and each of us, the 500 million of us, needs to seek a higher meaning in our lives. Here is a very short list of do-able acts that you should consider to be part of the solution. Volunteer, help your neighbor, recycle, and cut your conspicuous consumption in half. Besides making you feel better, it will collectively raise the consciousness of all humans. See Tom's movie to experience interesting interviews, studies, experiments, and truths to help you understand (remember) how this all works.


Then find Sherman's book in the library or your local book store and get a glimpse at the world and mind of a Native American baring his soul and observations through a web of fantastic stories. The human mind is an amazing thing to behold and witness.


As far as finding Rick(h) for your conversation of the week, go east on 78, take the off ramp at College, and make your way under the freeway to the HD parking lot. Get out of your car, walk to the true geographical center of that orange box, and on most weekdays at 3:00 pm he'll be there ready to serve.


"And cause I was a gazillionaire, and I liked doin it so much, I cut that grass for free*


*Forrest Gump

No comments:

Post a Comment