Monday, July 18, 2011

I Can't Get No Satisfaction; But I Try and I Try .... *

I occasionally re-read "Siddhartha" and "The Alchemist" and the quote "How can you live a good life without constantly interrogating it?" sticks in my mind. This type of introspective analysis paves the way toward my reflections and found me building the XOQ philosophy. I go through each day observing humans, as I am always trying to fit into the spaces created by girlfriend, job, family, friends, cars, stores, and the Earth itself, and it is always a challenge. Being a human has not been easy; Although there have been moments when all feels right. 


(Note to Self: lots of people have it harder than you.)


Just like Siddhartha, I did not learn from formal teachers and instruction; I learn from the individuals I encounter in my life. I have been chronically "dissatisfied," but Siddhartha reminds me that "too much dissatisfaction obscures the potential for satisfaction." (Herman Hess). I have arrived at the gates of 60, fortunate to have and at my core, I have found that the secret to my juggling act is to be constantly aware of my reflection in the pool of my experiences ...... moment to moment. 

Awareness is the key. Most humans (if you have been following along recently, I remind you I have put that number at around 6.5 billion) are not accountable. They do not see themselves; their habits, their trail of actions, the consequences of their decisions. They are victims of their dysfunctional needs and desires. (I would definitely use the word "dysfunctional" in any dictionary definition of human being.)


"The more people I meet, the more I like my dog." 


Actually, I don't have a dog right now. But here's to all the canines who have shared my homes:  Smokey, Noire, Fluffy, Cornbread, Phrydae, Molly, Max, Megan, Rascal, and Sophie. Each had a personality, a significant place in the timeline of my life, brings back fun memories, and is now gone. This list is the same length as my list of human friends, but the difference is the dogs lived with me, I played with them daily, took them on walks, fed them, and enjoyed almost everything they did.


Most of my friends live in the Pacific Northwest; a region of America that nurtures a world view, open mindedness, and culture. There is a school of thought I heard often during my 22 years up there, that D O G is actually the preferred and sensible formation of the letters G O D. The unconditional love one receives from your dog feels like the warm fuzzy experience you are supposed to be receiving from your connection to a power greater than yourself. 


As a realist, I prefer the relationship I have had with my dogs over a make believe link to an unknown entity, whose presence can only be imagined and therefore dwells in your fantasy place. And fantasies don't fetch.


So once again I find myself at the close of another piece about humans and take this moment to attempt to tie together the Rolling Stones, dogs, following the omens, and realizing that life is like a river. The lasting image of the Rolling Stones serves to accomplish this in wonderfully metaphoric form. It only took 15 seconds of instant Google research to find an account of the how this image came to be, and why it magically connects the dots (a shout out to Alan if he reads this):


"The big red mouth with its protruding tongue has been the official logo of the longest-serving rock-and-roll band in the world since 1971. It was the work of London graphic designer John Pasche, and first appeared on the inner sleeve and label of the Stones' album of that year, 'Sticky Fingers', following the foundation of their own record label, Rolling Stones Records.
IT IS AT ONCE AN INSOLENT TONGUE STUCK OUT AT AUTHORITY AND A ...... PANTING TONGUE  [see dog]  THE INSPIRATION CAME FROM AN IMAGE OF THE HINDU GODDESS KALI  [see Siddhartha]**


* "Satisfaction" was written by Mick Jagger and Keith Richards 

** WIKI ANSWERS

1 comment:

  1. I especially love the part about self-awareness. I think it is relatively rare, perhaps a developmental process. The challenge is to interact lovingly with others in whom it has not yet unfolded!

    ReplyDelete