Monday, October 10, 2011

Live Long and Prosper

As my friend's daughter left to catch her plane, the salutation that came to mind was a simple word, "Thrive." As her car pulled out of the driveway, I pondered the source of that expression and realized how genuine, heartfelt, and specific it was.


I've known her since she was small and although I have only seen her a handful of times over the years, I am aware of her journey through the eyes of her Dad, a dear friend. He has been sharing stories of her adventures all these years. He is now 65, and she must be about 32. The road to this moment of departure back to her bliss has been filled with change, exploration, tests, and her share of growing pains. 

As a symbol of my current re-awakening, her journey of self-discovery provides me a window into the collective experience I have been writing about in my yet to be published book for kids of all ages. I don't have writer's block, no resistance to completing it, simply waiting for my illustrator. I won't take this moment to talk anymore about the Book about ONE, but know that these past 4 days in the Northwest has re-vitalized my vision. Thank you to all I have spent quality time with this weekend; you know who you are.

thrive (verb)  =  to do well; prosper

Some humans blossom into interesting, profound, and productive participants in/on the global landscape. Others flourish in simple ways when their "Q" intersects with their work. If you don't want to take a moment to look back at my last Blog post, The Never Ending Story, I'll repeat my definition of "Q": it is your "voice;" your passion, your gift. My friend's daughter has found her voice as a teacher. Not all that surprising in light of her Father's unlimited capacity to mentor/teach. His grasp of what it takes for a young person to become a functioning adult has grown with his accumulated wisdom about his life and his "Q".

Spock was from another world; a planet where Vulcans evolved to "saluting" each other with this magnificent phrase; "Live Long and Prosper."* I practiced Spock's greeting in the late 60's and found it was easy for my fingers to move in his way. The fact that I wanted to perform this salute, does speak to my identity crisis and belief that I must be from another world. I might be a Vulcan; which would explain my stone cold logic in the face of all trauma.

But now my heart leads and my connections deepen. I am more fully engaged and my "Q" is ever present. It is a grand feeling to be so vulnerable. THRIVE!

*All credit to Gene Roddenbury and his visionary Star Trek Franchise


2 comments:

  1. So thriving means finding and expressing your authentic voice, your gift. This is what it is to live well! I like this. . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Find it and follow it and follow it .... thrive and prosper

    ReplyDelete