Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Imagine

I don' know if I'm a dreamer as much as a restless observer, but last week I got some momentary clarity during our time in Sedona. Yes, it was part just being away from work and SoCal, yes it was part the energy of the Red Rocks, yes it was my history meeting my current reality, yes it was partially inspired by my email exchanges with Jud, and yes/but at then end of the day reflecting and packaging my thoughts here is what I do best.


I have about 50 songs on my smart phone and with the poor, but workable technology, of tethering it to the cassette player in my van, we listened to lots of Beatles, Carol King, James Taylor, and similar music from the 70's; as we drove 17 hours round trip across desert, mountains, freeways and Arizona highways last week. The words of those songs, the memories of days gone by, the freedom of the road, the meditation of the long hours staring through the windshield of my life, has me placing this summers head space, transitions, confusions, frustrations, depressions, therapy sessions .... (wow, that is a lot of "ions") in context.


Add this to my past two years of correspondence with my HS classmate Jud and it brings me to the heart of this piece. IMAGINE if we realized the kind of world Gene Roddenberry envisioned when he structured the simplistic culture on board the Enterprise, filled with the philosophies, morals, directives, and harmony in the Federation. OK, I am a dreamer, but I'm not the only one.

Many of us thought the world by now would be very different. Certainly we would now be more aware than the bigotry betrayed in the book and movie "The Help." Certainly by now we would be more concerned about solutions, than about personal or financial agendas. Certainly by now we would be more evolved as a planetary kingdom; connected humans solving international conflicts with wisdom instead of guns and bombs. It is not so. I am disappointed to say the least. 

I woke up this morning uplifted, while thinking about my son's new beginning in the USD Business Masters program focusing on Global Leadership. Somehow, we have passed forward the spirit to him and he wants to be a leader and part of the transformation of human truths, actions, and cooperation. 


We are all tiny pieces of a 7 billion human puzzle and that is why I named this Blog "1 of 7 billion humans." DUH!  I will be 60 in December but I still want to join/form a pack of doers and scheme to lead a village toward more awareness, accountability, and a conscious future.
From potential life threatening hurricanes and earthquakes, to overthrowing dictators like Gaddafi, so much more is unexpectedly happening on Earth and now more than ever I am seeing the need to "think globally, act locally." 

"Imagine all the people, living life in peace."

No comments:

Post a Comment