Sunday, September 11, 2011

Magical Mystery Tour

Sixty years on Earth is a chunk of time. If your 25, it seems like forever. If your 90, you think it's young. That's the interesting thing about perspective; it all depends on which side of the fence you're on.  I've been observing my reactions, feelings, and attitudes during the past 9 months, and I'll admit they have been varied. I just finished writing an email to my 2 best friends, and realized in that composition that a theme has formed for the final 4 months of my 60th year. A Magical Mystery Tour (MMT)

Today's thoughts remind me of yesterdays. The van, as a symbol for my life, is profound. I never had one painted this way, but I did want to honor the Beatles "Magical Mystery Tour" (MMT). I have had 4 vans during the past 40 years, so they have dominated my driving experiences and added to my personal MMT. My first van was a VW, much like the one pictured here. It was light green, had a stick shift, and its' engine froze in the middle lane of the northbound NJ Turnpike, somewhere between Elizabeth, Bayonne, and Newark.

My second van was a red Chevy window van and it was part of my life for 10 years; from Long Island to Princeton to Berkeley to Sedona. My friend Alan and I had magical tours in that van, visiting Vermont, listening to 8 track tapes, creating visions of that van as a big community bus; a vehicle for change and inclusiveness. "You've Got a Friend" was born in that van and someday I will write more about those days; the mid 70's deserve a post of their own.

I did illegal things in the red van, including light drugs and innocently smuggling a rabbit into Canada. Around 1980, I had it painted a strange blue color and converted it to a camper van. You can remake your ride to reflect your transformation from wandering to commitment. Many years went by before I bought another van.

In 2005, I bought the celery colored Dodge Grand Caravan in Ramona from the Russian guy for $3,000 cash. It was the best desert vehicle for my construction work. If you have ever left a hammer in the back of your pickup truck and went to grab it on a hot June day, you'll understand why a van is the right vehicle. Austin and I had all we needed in that van; it was a cash machine. Transporting merchandise from Home Depot and all of my tools, we'd pull up to someone's home, complete a project and drive away with cash. Those were good times in Borrego Springs.

That van transported me to my current location, and recently I sold it after it turned 200,000 miles. Although it wasn't the smoothest transition, I soon bought my current champagne gold 2001 Toyota Sienna Van. We drove it to Sedona a few weeks back, and if you have been following along here, you know that was a magical trip. Once again the tunes and the scenery were grand through the large windows of a van.

I have been asked many times why does an older guy drive a soccer mom's vehicle. This speaks to images in SoCal that you are supposed to have the right car. To be honest, if you look at me, really look at who I am and have been, you'd have a hard time figuring out what is the right car for Robby. Some think its a sports car, some say its a 4 door sedan, maybe something classic like an old Mercedes. I've owned an RX-7, a Jaguar, an Audi lemon, a green Volare (look it up), a 1969 red Camaro with a 396, and at least 6 other vehicles.

But my vans bring MMTs and symbolize my ride through life. The tour continues in a few weeks; back to the NW to visit my best friends and reflect on past, present and future. Anybody got a time machine?


3 comments:

  1. Hi Robby, I know what you mean about vans. My current car is actually my 35th vehicle. Once I owned a green Willys car AND a turquoise Willys jeep with white lace painted on the sides at the same time. So many great rides. But I've still never owned a convertible. That's next.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 35 vehicles - that's a different one every 20 months or so. I am sure someone has already done it, but it would be fun to fill a book after collecting stories about cars, trucks, and vans. There is the GTO Richard Register parked and stripped of its hood, top and trunk lid, filled with soil and turned into a vegetable garden on the streets of 8th St in Bezerkeley in 1977. My Mom ordered the first 1964 1/2 Mustang convertible when it was advertised in Life magazine ... it became my first car in 1966 before I even had my license. She let me drive it to school everyday. Anybody else have car stories?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Counting vehicles, I like it. Sounds almost as fun as counting houses...Let the MMT ride on!

    ReplyDelete