Thursday, September 22, 2011

Sounds of Silence

Solutions ........ do you have any? As you watch what is happening around you, in your circle of life and on the national and international stage, do you take it in stride, accepting it as beyond your control? How are you coping? 


From strangers, I hear loud posturing, lies repeated, misunderstood Bible passages, but from you I hear silence.


I know many of you. You take the time to read this and other forwarded commentaries, revealing jokes, relevant videos clips, and some journalists rants. Other folks arrive on this page through some degrees of separation. If you Googled a key word and landed here, than you are curious and interested in something that is embedded in these thoughts.


The Sounds of Silence are deafening:


Hello darkness, my old friend
I've come to talk with you again
Because a vision softly creeping
Left its seeds while I was sleeping
And the vision that was planted in my brain
Still remains; Within the sound of silence*


I hated history when I was in school, but when I became a Math Teacher I realized why. 
Many of the "facts" that I was taught in my first 20 years are not true. My solution in my classroom was to spend time emphasizing the reason for learning. Having an open mind and knowing how to use our brain should be the focus of early education. Tests based on memorized data should be replaced by challenging students to collaborate, investigate, explore, and create. 



Columbus didn't discover America and Pluto is not a planet. The narrow mindedness, bigotry, and arrogance of the Columbus story is a great example of the root of America's mess. The "tea party" spews this kind of fabricated information. 


The new Pluto story reminds us that with the ever expanding explosions in technology we will always discover new truths to replace old facts. We can't possibly foresee or imagine the future at any stage of evolution. 


And in the naked light I saw
Ten thousand people, maybe more
People talking without speaking
People hearing without listening ....
"Fools", said I, "You do not know"
Silence like a cancer grows
And echoed; In the wells of silence*




Last week, a respected friend commented on my previous post, "While My Guitar Gently Weeps." This is what I heard when I read it:


"[Earth] is NOT a vacation planet. It's in vast transition and the old greedy model is thrashing about trying to make its illusion of reality last ..... all these tacky people ...... stay in this zoo of madness ......" 


And the people bowed and prayed
To the neon god they made
And the sign flashed out its warning
In the words that it was forming
And the sign said, 

"The words of the prophets are written on the subway walls
And tenement halls"
And whispered in the sounds of silence*



A solution was given this week by a Senator I had not heard of before. Lamar Alexander, an influential Republican, will step down from his leadership job in January, saying he can do more to help set budget priorities and curb government regulations as an “independent senior senator.”  I applaud his action.


Now, I want to promote a solution and encourage you to take the time to tell us your new ideas for real change. In what would be a bold, courageous and wise decision, I suggest President Obama tell the world he is not running for a second term. He should do this for his children, his wife, and for us. I respect him, like his style, know he his a brilliant attorney, and would be a great international diplomat. I applaud his American story and he has paved the way for more diversity at every level of our society. 


But this has turned out to be a time when Hilary Clinton should have been our President and she could be convinced to run again in this scenario. With her added international experience, her connections in Washington DC, her savvy and understanding of deal making and brokering in a very corrupt and self -serving US Government, she would beat any Republican candidate in the election, which Barrack may not be able to accomplish, and we would be better armed to tackle our problems in spite of the divisiveness and rancor in our 2 party system. Do I hear an AMEN!


*Simon and Garfunkel

4 comments:

  1. Wow. Powerful. I think many of us who were NOT silent in the 60's and 70's have become silent. We got excited about Obama, and now are discouraged again. Hard to know what to do. I'm intrigued by the Hilary Clinton idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Wife and I had hoped Hillary Clinton would win the nomination in 2008. When she did not, we voted for Obama, with hopes that he was more than a talented campaign orator. I have seen no evidence of this. We would welcome a Hillary Clinton presidency. That being said, I wonder how much anyone could have achieved with the dysfunctional, partisan and out of touch Congress we live with today. I would take your idea a step further. No incumbents should be reelected. It is a time for fresh faces and people more interested in the good of America than party politics. The U.S. Term Limits Party would be a fine place to select our new Congress. The crux of the problem is career politicians. With Hillary Clinton in the Oval Office and fresh, enthusiastic people in Congress, we might have a chance. Might.

    This was a fine eloquent piece, and more importantly, right on the money. Nice job.

    Jud

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jud, Gabrielle, Alexandra, Larry, Sandy, and all silent and loud ..... a few thoughts. #1 Be careful about pitching your tent in a windy canyon. I think there is a metaphor there, but I can't quite pin down. Your mind will play the trick from your perspective. #2 Thank you all for your thoughts and for "speaking" to our audience. #3 I will stick with the Hillary idea alone, since Jud's other solution is going to be much more difficult to manifest. #4 Keep expressing in all ways you will. Robby

    ReplyDelete