Saturday, June 8, 2013

Borrego Springs

The Durango Kid was a character featured in sixty-four films made between 1940 and 1952. The lead character was played by Charles Starrett and the film series had titles as diverse as the mountain-desert region in which they were filmed: "Cyclone Fury", "Quick on the Trigger" and "Roaring Rangers".

Charles Starrett died of cancer in 1986 in Borrego Springs, where lots of the footage for his films was shot. He has to be considered one of its most famous citizens. I uncovered these tidbits this morning as I was contemplating my drive out to Borrego Springs today to redo the shower walls in my condo at Club Circle.

I am always amazed to find out more about the history, geography, archeology, paleontology, hikes and natural wonders in and around one of my favorite places on Earth. I have explored and shared my experiences in the Anza-Borrego State Park with a number of friends. We have camped, 4x4'd, slithered through the Slot and stood in awe gazing at some of the most unique natural formations on the planet at Font's Point, Split Mountain, the Carizzo Badlands, Hawk Canyon and Blair Valley.

But today is a quick trip, after I pick up Casey at the airport. This was the weekend he was flying down to hang out with me at the hospital after open heart surgery. The plane tickets had been purchased, and he has to be in LA Monday for work, so we'll get a chance to chat during the 108 minute drive out east and back. He'll help me make fast work of installing the acrylic wall kit I bought at HD.

Next time you are looking for an adventure in San Diego County, give me a shout and we'll head out to Old Borego for an experience that will fill you with wonder.

No comments:

Post a Comment