Friday, June 7, 2013

Bury Your Head in the Sand

As I was driving to a customer's home around noon yesterday, I listened to Mr. Credit's SoCal's noon hour radio show. I stumbled upon this broadcast 6 months ago 'cause it is on the LA ESPN AM affiliate. I called in once about my desire to buy a house, wondering what the Host knew about getting a mortgage after having gone through a Deed in Lieu of Foreclosure. I am on his email list and check in to the show now and again to listen to his local team of professionals. 


Yesterday they were talking about a market correction that I have heard other talking heads "go on" about in the past month. I usually ignore financial discussions by "experts" because I don't know anything about the markets and I don't trust their advice.

But it made me think that I should probably ask for some advise from a friend who spent his career working in the financial industry and I trust to be honest with his feedback. So I emailed him this morning.

Elley and I chat about political, economic, and health care "realities" now and again. Generally, we are both disgusted with the "system." 

Recently we got very worked up about the Monsanto "truth" that has finally reached the national consciousness. Last night we heard the news reports about the genetically altered wheat that has "mysteriously re-appeared" in Oregon. Click here to Listen to Steven Colbert's show from June 5th to learn the scary truth. 

Frankly, it takes folks like us a lot of patience, philosophy, centering, and lets face it, a huge amount of "burying your head in the sand" to cope with what we know is going on in Congress, the CIA, the Federal Reserve, the well calculated movement to undermine Medicare and Social Security, corporate greed, abused workers, etc. etc. etc.


We invoke poetic-balancing-mantras like "don't worry, be happy" and "everything happens for a reason," to stay safe and isolated inside our own little worlds. With my current health challenges, and a lot of unknowns about the future for our families and friends, it is a lot easier to maintain this perspective than to get worked about things we can't control. 

At one point in my life, 40 years ago, I thought I would be more involved on a bigger scale. But as things unfolded, I found myself "thinking globally, but acting locally."** Certainly my involvement in the Vets project 2 days ago follows this line of thinking. I am always curious to hear how others are coping. Leave behind a Comment below or send me an email if you would like to join this discussion.

** "Think global, act local" ...... attributed to Scots town planner and social activist Patrick Geddes, around 1915There is an intended irony to including this phrase for Alexandra ..... it is an inside story :>)

No comments:

Post a Comment