Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Basic Instinct

Now that I am home, it is time to reflect on my operation and 5 days in Room 638 at Scripps Memorial. The operation was a success and my recovery was rapid, but there were glitches in some basic bodily functions. That is behind me now, so no details are necessary.

Elley carried the load of communicating with family and friends, keeping them updated on my progress. I can't overstate the appreciation I have for her on so many levels; this can be the most time consuming and stressful part of hospitalization. Repeating over and over answers to the questions: "How is he doing? When can I visit?"  Social media and "texting" have made this a little easier these days; one message can be broadcast to many friends and family at the same time.

I am doing unbelievably well. Visiting Nurse "Jackie" came by yesterday to ask lots of questions for her report to the Docs and insurance company. She was impressed by my vitality, how well my wounds are healing, and we discussed the very few restrictions I have on exercise moving forward. I can do anything I am up for, except reaching, pulling/pushing and lifting. We walked 3/4 mile yesterday after she left.

I attribute the speed of my recovery to 2 things:

#1  My lifelong fitness and diet
#2  The hundreds of people who were sending me support and healing energy.

I know some of you struggle against the need for staying fit and eating right. I've recently heard the philosophy that you should just use up your body and die with nothing left in the tank. Sorry; I am here to say that everyone is going to face at least one major disease or defective body part during their life and I now KNOW more than ever that my philosophy, which includes "you are what you eat," is the best investment I have made over the past 60 years.

My new cow aorta valve and 6 inches of artificial aorta artery are allowing my heart to operate normally for the first time ever. I am getting more oxygen pumped into my bloodstream than at anytime in my life. I have no idea how this major overhaul is going to impact my future, but I know it will be very positive.

Two more things in closing:

#1 Thanks to Casey for flying down from Bezerkeley to take me home from the hospital and being my caregiver and personal assistant for 2 days. It was so good to have him here, and also to talk golf and life as we watched Phil storm to the Open Championship.

#2 Thank YOU for your friendship.

I have reached a good place in my life. In just the past 5 years I have doubled the number of true friends. At the head of that list is of course Elley, and Tina is always sharing from her heart with her keen sense of loyalty, family and tradition.

I am forever grateful and humbled to share this journey of life and adventures with you.

Namaste,    Robby

No comments:

Post a Comment