Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Oceanside

On July 5, 2013 at 7:30 am, I will be laying on a surgical table inside Scribbs Memorial Hospital in La Jolla. Earlier that morning we will get out of bed in Oceanside and drive down the freeway to put my body in the hands of Dr. Scot Brewster, a graduate of Dartmouth Medical School. 

As the rescheduled date of my surgery rushes toward us, I sip my coffee and think about the ease at which I place my fate in the hands of this stranger and his team. I have met him once, and except for the details of what is wrong with me and how he will fix it, I was given no insight into the days and weeks after surgery. 

I have relied on an article from the internet and a conversation with a woman who happened to be drawing my blood for a pre-op screening, to get some insight into what it will be like to recover. I know, and all friends and family believe I will be OK, fine, better than ever, etc. I will endure the pain, discomfort, and mental challenge as many of you in my extended family have done facing your surgeries, chemo, radiation, injuries, etc.

It is simply what we do: mind over matter .... acceptance and perseverance. Humans have been doing it for thousands of years, through incredible physical and mental trauma caused by disease, accident or war. 

I have invited you to come visit me during my recovery. Eight weeks away from work will require drugs, distractions, walks, and some writing and art projects. I will hunker down during the first week to ten days getting through the worst of the pain. Please do come over to our apartment in Oceanside and hang out with me in the backyard.

No comments:

Post a Comment