Monday, July 29, 2013

All you NEED is love



What do I NEED?   Not much.

I NEED my days of recovery to be filled with walking, eating, napping, reading, an occasional phone call, email or visit, and catching up on the best shows from HBO.



Is NEED a good thing?


The dictionary definition of NEED is:  a lack of something essential, desirable, or useful. 


For me, this definition is odd/off. I don't think of NEED as a lack of anything. And I believe the word Essential is very different than the words Desirable or Useful.


Does my realization that I "NEED" things reveal weakness or that I am missing something?  NO ..... what I need is not essential, it is desirable and positive.


But, on the other hand, being NEEDY or Dependent would not feel good to me. 


What I NEED are the things that are uplifting in my life: friends, gatherings, exercise, a dog, healthy food, sunsets, work, writing, art .... this painting reminds me of what I need and want in my life. 


John Lennon wrote the song "All You Need is Love" when asked to write a song with a simple message that would be understood by all humans. Lennon was invested in the power of slogans to unite the world:  Imagine, Give Peace a Chance, Power to the People.


Love is at once simple, complex and universal. It is very primal at its core when it represents the reaction of a newborn to his/her mother.

Without love, humans get lost. I am found. I am surrounded by love; more now that at any other time in my life. I plan to be with my love and share my other needs.

And I want to travel again to more Cafe Biscotto's on the streets of Athens, Paris, Santorini and Asissi.

No comments:

Post a Comment