Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Here's Looking at You Kid

My friend Sal Diliberto sent me an email last night asking if I planned on attending anymore once-a-month Poker nights. As part of my response this morning, I told him how much I look forward to more conversations with him, sharing stories about our unique journeys. 

The first intense conversation I remember having with a friend about "who we are", was in the Coach's locker room at Princeton Day School in 1973.  As a very naive, but wise beyond my years 21 year old, Alan Taback and I had a heart felt exchange after practice one late afternoon. The details are unimportant, but the fact that I long to have open, trusted, honorable dialogue like that, one on one with people, rushed toward me today.

I find myself remembering some of my great guy friends tonight, after observing my reaction to Sal's email. There are my dear friends Bruce and Don from the Northwest, Larry from Borrego Springs and Dave from Vista. Zoey, Austin, and Swami (my step-brother) and I think of Sal in that category. Then there is the next ring of circles revolving around my story:  Kayvon, Trevor, Richard, Mark, Jud, and Marvin.

One of the koolest realities of my life is that my son Casey is the MAN! I can relate to him about everything and I have always thought of him as a friend. 

So as the evening winds to a close, I raise a glass of the very best potato vodka I have found, chilled in the freezer and sipped from my San Felipe cactus glass: Here's to my good fortune in having met some of the finest men anywhere!



I am going to end my posts with the following request: "I promise to make my Posts shorter, if you promise to scroll down to read older Posts you may have missed." 
                                                               Thanks for stopping by, Robby

2 comments: