Monday, May 20, 2013

Butterflies are Free to Fly .... Flyaway

Butterflies have always reminded me of my sister Lauren. Their delicacy and beauty represent the best of nature, and she was all of that and more.

At Toys 'R Us yesterday, we shopped for a birthday gift for a 3 year old. I found a section of kids' tools for outdoor exploration. When I saw the butterfly net, I cringed at the memory of us pulling wings off of these fragile insects and remembered how it was suggested that we trap them inside of jars or pin them onto "collector" boards.

Just last week I decided that during my convalescence I am going to use 2 rolls of 1/4" and 3/8" copper tubing I have been carrying around for years, to make a backyard fountain. The photo on the right is my inspiration for this sculpture. Water will flow from the ends of the wings and be recycled through a submerged pump in the copper base.

Over time the copper will patina and add wonderful blue hues to the sculpture. With the water pump on or off, it will grace our small backyard for a summer of enjoyment. It will give me a creative diversion during the long hours of being home and remain as a reminder of the time spent recuperating.

In late June, I will take pictures of the art project and post them here.

I want to take a moment to thank the many old friends who have contacted me since Sunday morning. It means a lot that you are sending good vibes and healing energy. Keep it flowing. This is the best use of the Internet; to reconnect and stay in touch with my extended family from Port, Penn, Princeton, Berkeley, Seattle, Borrego Springs, SoCal, etc.

Namaste 

No comments:

Post a Comment