Friday, May 24, 2013

Flash

I found out I am allergic to the dye they used to check my arteries. 24 hours after the angiogram, I was told I could take a shower and check the entry puncture on my upper leg (that's my delicate way to say groin). While I was drying off, I noticed that my whole upper body had broken out in a rash; back, front, face and bald head. It was a strange orange/red color and puffy.

I called the Dr.'s office and used Benadryl spray to prevent it from getting too itchy. I remembered that a half hour before they wheeled me into the procedure room they had given me 2 Benadryl and told me that it was a precaution in case I was allergic to the dye used during the procedure.  Now the Benadryl has worn off and the hot shower had brought the rash to the surface.

Recovery from this procedure had me missing 3 days of work instead of the one day I had anticipated. Rules: no driving, no walking, monitoring the puncture, keeping my leg raised, and lots of naps. All of this feels like a trial run for the real thing on June 5th.

I did realize a few things. We need a recliner in the living room, so I can hang out and find comfortable positions while my ribs are healing. I can get live TV on my Mac Book without dish, cable or U-verse, but it streams sporadically and the Air Parrot wireless software doesn't always send audio to our Apple TV box. Should we or shouldn't we pony up the $60 per month for regular TV? Should I buy an iPad? Will the AV adapter to HDMI work?

NOTE: Please know I am not whining, complaining, or looking for sympathy as I write this journal. I have many friends who have been through major heart, cancer, and bone operations, and debilitating chemo, radiation and ongoing diabetes treatments. So many of us have and will survive because of the medical advances in detection and treatment. I enjoy writing and sharing this journey with you and it helps me feel connected to my extended family. I have learned to allow others to care. For a former "Spock" clone, it is progress. Much Love, Robby



No comments:

Post a Comment