Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Inception

I figured having a recliner would be a good idea during the healing process. Finding a comfortable position to sit and write, watch movies and nap is going to be a challenge with broken ribs. Craigslist provided the answer; for $75 we have a new addition to our eclectic mix of furniture. It was cheaper than renting one for $125 month. We'll probably sell it in August. Looks comfy!

Folks have been asking me how I'm doing. My best answer is that I am mentally and practically preparing for the things I anticipate. Getting the chair is a good example. We have been talking about hooking up regular TV from U-verse, but after finding free TV and movie websites online, we decided the best investment in entertainment would be to crank up our internet connection speed to 12 mps for ten more $$ a month.

I have mentioned a few other practical preparations, like enticing local friends to come over to pass the time, by posting photos of places we will sit and chat. The "going-to-the-bathroom" reality is always in the back of my mind and we have a collection of herbal stimulants on hand to attack that problem. Tina is organizing a "open heart" dinner for friends at work this Saturday night at The Spaghetti Factory. She has also asked for a list of my favorite foods, and the things I don't eat, so co-workers can cook some meals we can keep in the freezer. 

This whole journey is an out of body experience. I know someone named Robert Hoffman, DOB 12/17/51, has been in a van driving south to La Jolla, sitting in waiting rooms, meeting with Doctors, having tests, giving blood, and listening to explanations about needing surgery to replace his aortic valve with a cow's aortic valve. It's like a dream within a dream within a dream. 

The truth is that I am good at disconnecting my brain from my body, and although at times in my life this has been a bad thing, during this kind of reality it serves me well. I used to tell my son Casey to invoke the Dentist theory when going though something that hurts. Repeat a mantra when the DDS is shooting Novocain into your gums: "tomorrow at this time it will be over." 

I have a couple of tokens I keep around for grounding. My blue Sully from Avatar, my Jar Jar Binks from Star Wars, my pewter court jester, my small brass Genie lamp, my Mardis Gras beads, and my hand painted walnut from Bezerkeley. I'll show them to you when you drop by.






No comments:

Post a Comment